ABOUT DR. SOM
Dr. Som is a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, and Board Certified General Surgeon. He grew up in Westlake Village, then attended UCLA, where he graduated with honors with a degree in Cybernetics while specializing in Physiologic Science and a minor in Mathematics. Next, he attended UC San Diego Medical School, where he spent an additional year conducting Plastic Surgery research focused on hand reconstruction while visiting multiple underserved cities in Mexico as part of the Interface outreach program to provide plastic and reconstructive surgery.
He then moved back to Los Angeles, where he completed his residency training in General Surgery at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. He also performed a research fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in collaboration with UC San Diego. During this time he presented at multiple regional and national meetings, while also publishing multiple research articles in the fields of General Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Trauma Surgery and Plastic Surgery. Upon completion of his General Surgery training, he earned his Board Certification from the American Board of Surgery.
He then completed Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery training at the University of Alabama Birmingham with the world famous Luis Vasconez, where he trained in all aspects of Reconstructive and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Additionally, he spent significant time gaining expertise in both microsurgery and complex hand surgery.
Dr. Som has presented over 50 projects locally, nationally and internationally at the the International Society of Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery in Santiago, Chile. While there he also had the opportunity to operate side by side with international surgeons and learn techniques from the other side of the world. He continues to strive to make advancements in plastic surgery with cutting edge research and investigation, bringing the newest art and science to Southern California.
- UCLA Bachelors of Science in Cybernetics Physiologic Science, with minor of Mathematics
- UCSD Medical School
- Cedars Sinai General Surgery Residency
- UAB Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
- Attending Physician Cedars Sinai Hospital
- Attending Physician Olympia Medical Center, Simi Valley Hospital, Encino and Sherman Oaks Hospitals
- Director of Plastic Surgery, Sherman Oaks Hospital, Sherman Oaks, CA
- Director of APC/Wound Center, Sherman Oaks Hospital, SHerman Oaks, CA
- Cofounder of Wound Institutes of America
- Mexicali plastic and reconstructive mission
- La Piedad plastic and reconstructive mission
- Honduras plastic and reconstructive mission