How SkinPen Micro-needling Treatments Work
Each of our bodies have a natural healing system that allows repair of injury by stimulating production of both collagen and elastin. With the micro-needling system, SkinPen initiates this response by creating hundreds of transient micro channels into the skin, called fractionated injuries. SkinPen helps to promote healing and regeneration mechanically, and without the use of heat energy or cutting of the skin.
Typically, 3 to 6 treatments are recommended to achieve best results, however results may be seen in as few your first couple sessions. Each treatment typically performed 4 to 6 weeks apart, dependant on the area and skin type being treated. Down time is minimal, making the SkinPen a convenient alternative to traditional facial peels and laser treatments that may take several days to recover.
Benefits ofSkinPen’s unique approach to skin rejuvenation
• Transient micro channels promote skin healing and rejuvenation, naturally and effectively
• Safe to perform for all skin types, no risk of fibrosis
• Less invasive means to promote collagen formation without the use of more aggressive options such as thermal techniques and surgically excising skin tissue, and with scar-free healing
• Minimal downtime, minimal to no peeling post-treatment
What can you treat with the SkinPen?
Micro-needling can be used to help rejuvenate your skin. From fine lines to certain discolorations, SkinPen can help you feel more confident in your own skin.
• Increase absorption of active ingredients into skin, such as Platelet Rich Plasma or growth factors (similar to Vampire Facelift)
• Stimulate collagen production which promotes rejuvenation
• Improve wrinkles, minimize pore size and induce skin tightening
• Improve surgical, traumatic, burn and acne scars
• It may also improve stretch marks and hyper-pigmentation (brown spots and melasma)
What to Expect After Microneedling Treatments
You can expect minimal downtime with SkinPen, similar to that of a mild sunburn includingtemporary and minimalredness, swelling and tenderness. However, after just one day patients may return to normal activities and are able to conceal most of the signs of treatment with regular makeup. You will begin to see improvement in your skin’s texture, skin tone evening, and tightening within 2 to 3 weeks after each treatment (with best results noticeable typically 3 to 6 treatments).
The science behind the SkinPen and Collagen Induction Therapy
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), or micro needling, is the procedure by which the body’s natural response to healing is used to increase the amount of extracellular matrix such as collagen or elastin in the skin. SkinPen creates micro-channels that allow for leakage of blood, serum, and lymph in a controlled and temporary manner. These “injuries” are enough to initiate the wound-healing cascade. There are three basic phases to illustrate how micro needling works.
• Phase One | Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body’s immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply (a process called angiogenesis), and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials (the granulation process).
• Phase Two | Proliferation: In this stage, the fibroblasts (cells that make up much of the dermis and create the extracellular matrix) keratinocytes and epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
• Phase Three | Remodeling: At this stage, the wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a “shrink-wrap” effect of the skin.
BEFORE AND AFTER
The depth of the SkinPen needles can be adjusted from .25 mm up to 2.5 mm in length. This variability allows the SkinPen provider to adjust treatments based on the patient’s anatomy (skin thickness) as well as the patient’s need (e.g., more penetration required for acne scarring).
For better and longer lasting results, including skin tightening, brightening and rejuvenation, combine SkinPen with the SK Medical Skincare.
If you are interested or would like to learn more call today to make an appointment with Dr. Som.